 MediaWatch / 673
672  |  674
Subject:
LEGO in Michael Madsen's Poetry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:24:11 GMT

Ran across the following poem in Michael Madsen's poetry collection "Burning
in Paradise":

Christian

After he dumped the Lego blocks
on the bed and squashed
the rubber Free Willy,
everybody finally fell asleep
watching The Great Mouse Detective.
I was drinking Jack Daniels
and looked at him for a long time
lying there with his arms out
to either side looking like
Jesus in rumpled pajamas

What was particularly interesting to me about this poem was the fact that
earlier in the same evening that I read it, an acquaintance mentioned the
fact that it was her desire to watch The Great Mouse Detective on video that
prompted her to buy her first VCR.  It's been years and years since I've
thought about or heard mention of this movie and then I run into two
references to it in the same night.  This same woman had also asked me about
my latest LEGO fun.

So both LEGO and The Great Mouse Detective then show up in the last poem of
Madsen's that I read before going to sleep that night.  I love collecting
coincidences like that.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering - Michael Madsen the Poet IS the same as
Michael Madsen the actor that played Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs (you know
the razor and the ear scene).  For more information about him and his
sensitive, poetic side you can check out his official site at
www.michaelmadsen.com.  I'm a huge fan of him as an actor, a writer and an
all-around swell guy.

Greg