 MediaWatch / 672
671  |  673
Subject:
George Will mentions LEGO Death Camp Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:11:31 GMT

In a Washington Post syndicated column that appeared in my local paper*
today, George Will made a reference to the LEGO WWII Concentration Camp sets
produced by Polish artist Zbigniew Libera.  The tone of the article is
basically centered on denouncing "avant garde" art's trivialization of the
Holocaust:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14475-2002Jun19.html

The LEGO sets are only mentioned briefly in this column.  But one of the
sets was featured in a black-and-white picture that accompanied it (Set 6772
- Main Compound).

Even though there have been multiple postings about this art over the years
here on LUGNET, there might be someone reading this who is unfamiliar with
these sets.  If so, I refer you to Kenn Rice's excellent page on this
subject that includes pictures of all the sets:

http://users.erols.com/kennrice/lego-kz.htm

*Local paper = Richmond (VA) Times Dispatch