 MediaWatch / 361
360  |  362
Subject:
LEGO Alpha Team mentioned in Jerusalem Post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.il
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:43:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2001/12/05/Digital/DISoftwareReview.39385.html

text follows - used without permission:

Save the world from evil Ogel
By Judy Siegel-Itzkovich

(December 5) - Tzevet Alpha (Alpha Team), a CD-ROM dubbed and translated
into Hebrew by Hed Artzi Multimedia from the original English disk by
Lego Media, comes with a 36-page Hebrew-language user's manual, requires
Windows 95 and up, a Pentium II 233 Mhz PC and 3-D accelerator, for ages
eight and up, NIS 170. - Rating: ****1/2

The chief bad guy in this well-made strategic adventure game is called Ogel and
has an Arafat-like stubbly beard and a scowl (but no keffiya).

Do you want to beat him? Do you have what it takes to save the world?
You must become a secret agent, join the good-guy Alpha Team, carry out
covert operations and hone your skills in using amazing gadgets.

Only the quick-witted survive. Your mission is to rescue members of the
team (four men and three women) who have been captured and are being
held by the evil Ogel in his compound.

As in all Lego Media software, the characters in this game are made from
Lego blocks. Although some people might be deterred by the idea of stiff
plastic figures cavorting across the screen, these are very flexible and
more warm than robot-like.

This is probably the best of the Lego Media software games so far.

The Alpha Team are construction experts of the Special Forces, and their
environment is space, while Ogel has developed a new technology that
creates "evil orbs." These and his DOOM (device for ominous orb
manufacturing) Machine turn innocent residents of the Lego environment
into zombies, with the aim of controlling the whole world.

Your weapons against Ogel include three dozen pieces of equipment, from
slides to trampolines, that help you maneuver your way through the
environment. You need more than a dollop of strategic and logic skills
to rotate, zoom in, jump, dive and otherwise get around.

If you get confused (and I did many times), consult a creature called
Tee Vee (who has a computer screen on its stomach) for a hint.

I admit that I got stuck in the subterranean Goo Caves, where I was up
to my virtual knees in green sticky stuff that Ogel uses to control
people's brains. I also got mislaid deep on the ocean floor among evil
green plants that Ogel mixes with this goo.

To save the world from the fuzzy-faced arch-enemy, you have to carry out
assignments one at a time, in the specific order set down by the
program. Among them are opening a security door, freeing your fellow
Alpha Team mates (Crunch, Radia, Charge, Cam and Flex) and collecting
the evil orbs.

Ogel is protected by troopers, lurchers, zombies and guards, and you
must overcome them before you get to him.

Since the game is so complex and will take quite a long time to
complete, you are best advised to read the user's manual from start to
finish to get the basic idea - especially if your space maneuvering and
construction abilities, like mine, are not up to par.

But kids who are used to this kind of thing will probably be able to
learn by trial and error and find their way almost from the first launch.