 MediaWatch / 3042
Re: Lego Agrees to Discontinue Jabba's Palace
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:57:52 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Joshua Delahunty wrote:

   In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

   In lugnet.mediawatch, Paul Ferguson wrote:

   A story in the British newspaper The Independent reports that Lego has agreed to discontinue set 9516 - Jabba’s Palace - after complaints by the Turkish Cultural Association in Austria.

Full story: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-racist-menace-muslims-declare-victory-in-fight-over-antiislamic-lego-8555610.html

Of course, I figure that they’d have discontinued this set in 2014 anyway, as newer Star Wars sets come on line.

And here I was wondering if this would be a year with no special 1 April stories on LUGNET...

Apparently, it’s the real deal (the article hit 31 Mar), but the association that is hailing a victory may have misinterpreted what they were told.

-- joshua

Today’s Wall Street Journal has a follow-up article. In what will not surprise AFOLs, Lego explains that they did meet with the Turkish Cultural Assocition, but that the set is being disontinued as part of their regular product cycle. As we all know, they turn over sets pretty fast now.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2013/04/02/legos-comes-clean-on- why-jabba-got-the-boot/?KEYWORDS=lego