 MediaWatch / 2923
Re: LEGO® Group get Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Licenses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2011 11:56:16 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, Abner Finley wrote:
   BILLUND, Denmark and Burbank, CA – December 16, 2011 –

Warner Bros. Consumer Products and The LEGO Group Build on Partnership to Produce Construction Toys for THE LORD OF THE RINGS™ Trilogy and the Two Films Based on THE HOBBIT.

Okay, here’s something that will make some people upset and others happy. I’ve had a few hours to let this information simmer, and after getting home I did some fact-checking. New Line Cinema produced the LotR trilogy with Peter Jackson. Due to their “creative” book-keeping, Jackson ended up suing them over royalties that he was owed (he was foolish enough to sign a contract for a percent of the profits, so NLC made sure that one of the most successful movie trilogies in the history of ever was never allowed to show a profit on the books, so they’d never have to pay out profits-based royalties). Apparently his relationship with NLC has not improved, and he shopped The Hobbit around. Warner Bros. will be producing the duology, for which the first movie is due out in a year.

Meanwhile, we get a press release saying that The LEGO Company has signed on with WB to produce LotR/Hobbit sets (and a Hobbit video game from TT Games has been leaked through other sources). The problem here is that WB has zero involvement with the mega-successful LotR movie trilogy, and therefore they almost certainly don’t have the rights to license a toy line based on those movies or the designs depicted within them. So, while it has been confirmed that they will be making sets based on both LotR and The Hobbit, don’t expect any of the former to look like anything you’ve seen in theaters.

Since it has been mention about the problems between Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema. However, New Line Cinema is subsidiary of Warner Brothers. It’s not known what actually is in the contract between the LEGO Group and Warner Bros. If they worked out the small details. So far LEGO and Warner Bros. have a good relationship. It will be interesting.