 MediaWatch / 2378
2377  |  2379
Subject:
LEGO® Opens first flagship store in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:00:56 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

LEGO® Opens first flagship store in China

Sept. 12, 2007

Danish toy giant LEGO opened its first flagship store in China on Wednesday after a 15-year presence in the country.

LEGO CEO and President, Jorgen Vig Knudstorp, who is on his first visit to China, attended the launching ceremony at the store in China World Shopping Mall in Beijing.

In an interview, he explained why it took LEGO so long to open a brand store in China.

“We’ve been in China for a long time, but now we are finding a way to really crack the code and grow the market. The brand toy market in China is still in its infancy. I think we’ve seen other markets grow faster, like cars, mobile phones. But I think now is the time for brand toys to really grow.”

Knudstorp says LEGO China sales account for less than one percent of its total sales around the world and he believes there is much potential for growth. He expects LEGO to become the market leader in China by 2020.

Founded in 1932, LEGO Group is now the world’s sixth-largest manufacturer of toys in terms of sales.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2007-09/13/content_6104531.htm

-end of report-