 MediaWatch / 2285
Re: 'Lego Ban' at Seattle School Fueled by Anti-Private Property Crusaders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:28:47 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Matthew Crandall wrote:
Somebody needs to go back and re-educate these teachers! As an educator
myself, I find it ridiculous that LEGO was banned. I don't see other building
toys banned here...and isn't it LEGO that has things like First LEGO League,
Mindstorms, Serious Play and the whole DACTA division?

Am I missing something here?

Well, it wasn't a statement about the Lego Group, it was a statement about how
kids were using the bricks. A quick summary of the article on
http://www.rethinkingschools.org/ states:

------------------------------

Why We Banned Legos

As they watched their elementary-age students playing with Legos, Ann Pelo and
Kendra Pelojoaquin saw some disturbing trends.

In the current issue they describe how some kids hoarded the "best" pieces,
denied their classmates any access at all to the pretend town they were
building, and displayed other undesirable behavior surrounding ownership and the
social power it conveys.

So the teachers banned Legos, and worked with the kids to surface the issues
raised by the ways they had been using the popular building blocks.

--------------------------------

But to hear the quick synopsis given by TCS Daily, it really makes it sound like
they tried brainwashing the kids into thinking that the right of property is
evil and "unjust". I'm curious to read a little closer to the source on this
one, and see just how much paraphrasing the TCS Daily is doing here... Maybe
I'll try and pick up a copy at a local newsstand or bookstore... (if I can find
one that's still got this issue!)

DaveE

Dave--

Please do post if you find the article. As for the snippet you did post--"In the
current issue they describe how some kids hoarded the "best" pieces, denied
their classmates any access at all to the pretend town they were building, and
displayed other undesirable behavior surrounding ownership and the social power
it conveys."--

**grins**

Gee, that sounds like when {we} were kids! Except back then, we didn't call it
social anything...we called it _bullying_, and we were told to knock it off and
share.

Play well and prosper,

Matthew