 MediaWatch / 2283
Re: 'Lego Ban' at Seattle School Fueled by Anti-Private Property Crusaders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:15:59 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Sid Dinsay wrote:
   You have to go in via http://www.techcentralstation.com to find this article. There is no direct link.

L’Eggo My Lego By Maureen Martin 28 Feb 2007

Some Seattle school children are being told to be skeptical of private property rights. This lesson is being taught by banning Legos. • --snip-- Officials in Bremerton, for example, condemned a house where a widow had lived for 55 years so her property could be used for a car lot, according to the Institute for Justice. And Seattle successfully condemned nine properties and turned them over to a private developer for retail shops and hotel parking, IJ reports. Attempts to do the same thing in Vancouver (for mixed use development) and Lakewood (for an amusement park) failed for reasons unrelated to property confiscation issues.

The court’s ruling in Kelo, however, whetted municipal condemnation appetites even further. The Institute for Justice reports 272 takings for private use are pending or threatened in the state as of last summer. It’s unclear if Legos will be targeted. But given what’s being taught in some schools, perhaps it’s just a matter of time.

I like how the author ties together two entirely different stories into one for hilarious comic effect. Private school teaches children that private property is evil through an example using Lego is so obviously related to how the council that takes private property to be sold on as... private property... isn’t it? Ummm...

Well, I don’t know about anyone else but I thinks that perhaps the journalist writing this piece but have been a bit lax in his or her standards... maybe the two stories aren’t actually very close to the truth at all. Mixing unrelated stories with the pretense that the two are related suggests to me that perhaps the author might be a little selective... anyway, it made me laugh.

Tim