 MediaWatch / 1926
Re: Lego to retire the brick?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:12:08 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
Yow.  I saw this on Eurobricks:

http://www.ameinfo.com/65664.html

This looks to be a speculative opinion piece, and I'd suggest that you take it
with a grain of salt.  The statements about Kodak's market-power seem somewhat
overstated and out of touch with reality.  Consider this recent article as a
counterpoint to claims that Kodak is leading a highly competitive market:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8639976/

Without a direct quote from an official LEGO spokesperson or press release, I'd
say that the article is pure hearsay.  Besides which, one of the defensive
mantras used by LEGO in the past few years is that "the market is changing so
rapidly."  Therefore it strikes me as odd that they'd plan to discontinue their
flagship product fully seven years in advance of doing it.  How can they know
what the market will hold at that time, when they couldn't predict the failure
of Galidor, for example?

Dave!