 MediaWatch / 1789
Re: Build with Legos, be a part of history
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 19:48:53 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Duane Hess forwarded:

Building a "cascadeable" machine — one that can be connected
to others — is actually simpler than it sounds, said Jill
Wilker...

   Yes - in fact, I think I've seen something similar posted about in this forum
;-). I already know of at least a 12+ step recycling "cascading" machine that
will be on display at HoB this weekend in Chicago. Anybody want to go for the
record at Brickfest?

“We’ve defined three entry points on one side of the
baseplate, and nine exit points” for the ball on the
remaining sides.

   Can anyone actually find the standard for this? I can't find it on the
website mentioned. It sounds like this:

organizers may have to build some “transition” machines
to carry the ball from one contraption to another.

...might be an understatement. Three in (L/R/center?) and nine out (L/R/center
on each of the other three sides) could potentially lead to some complex
geometry.

A Rube Goldberg machine is judged by the number of
steps it takes to accomplish its goal.

   I wonder how they will define a "step": one module? One moving linkage?

--
Brian Davis