 MediaWatch / 1600
Re: ToysRus is taking your vote for your best toy award
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:16:40 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Patrick Bégin wrote:
ToysRus is taking your vote for your best toy award 2005 at :

http://www6.toysrus.com/toy_awards/toyaward.html

In the construction and building category, you have to chose between Big Air
Tower by K'nex, Dragons Fire and Ice Dragons Mountain by Mego Bloks, Lego
Knights by Lego and Nano-Tropolis Assortment by Mego Bloks.

Vote for the best...

Clearly rigged, they've chosen a Lego product that may not be Lego's best
work. But on the other hand the Mega partisans may end up splitting their
vote. I'm not convinced these polls really do much other than drum up
traffic.

Sadly, although I'll vote for Lego, I think of the 4 options, the Nano
collection or the K'Nex are far and away the better building toys. The MB
Dragons line is simply a travesty, and they picked a horrible small set for
Lego. Maybe if they had pointed the link at the actual *castle* instead of just
the jousting tournament, they'd have a shot.

Notice how each of the 4 all point to a single toy, whereas the MB Nano options
point to the entire line of Nano? Further, notice how the MB Dragons set is
discounted, but the Lego set isn't?

Looks like they picked a Lego set because "they had to" or "they should", and so
picked a lousy one. Then, to make sure it didn't win, they picked a similar MB
set to nominate as well, and tried to pick a BETTER MB set (notice the discount
and the fact that it's a larger set). Hence people that might otherwise pick the
Lego have a choice to pick the MB Dragons set.

Now, they also picked the Nano line for MB, which (IMO) looks like a fantastic
line. But they didn't pick a Designer set to compete with it, which (IMO) is an
even more fantastic line.

Clearly an attempt to make MB beat Lego, if not make MB be chosen as the #1 toy.
I'd laugh at their feeble attempt if I hear that Lego actually beats out MB.

DaveE