 MediaWatch / 1423
1422  |  1424
Subject:
Not just another Mega Bloks vs. Lego article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.quatro, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:43:00 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

There are some really interesting tidbits about Lego and Mega Bloks in this
article from the Kansas City Star (requires registration to view):

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/business/personal_finance/7940820.htm

Ok, there is a lot in here that is general knowledge, including a concise report
on the falling numbers of TLC's sales while Mega Bloks rises.  But what really
caught my eye were the following items:

"the new Lego line — known as Quatro — will be made of a softer plastic and
carry a lower price than traditional Lego playsets."

This is the first I have heard of Quatro being made of a different plastic.

And what seems most intriguing to me:

"At the New York toy fair, Mega Bloks will unveil a new line of smaller bricks
that enables kids to construct elaborate models in finer detail than existing
bricks. The new product is aimed at 7- to 12-year-olds — a segment still
dominated by Lego — and has “blown away” focus group participants, according to
the Bertrands."

My first thought was "modulex."  I am really interested in seeing this new line.
It's interesting that while Lego complains that it is losing the older "tween"
age group and focusing its product line on younger builders, its competitor is
actively pursuing it.

I know I posted this to a lot of newsgroups, please set follow-up as appropriate
to the subject matter.

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com