 Marketplace / Theory / 939
Re: "auction tampering"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:34:15 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Scott Arthur writes:
I'm selling a number of 8448's on ebay which I have broken for parts mostly.
I got this message this morning about them:

"You don't know me, but we are auctioning similar items on ebay.  I got the
attached E-mail warning people not to bid on this lego item.  I have already
filed a complaint with ebay, and I suggest you do the same if you get one.
This is clearly auction tampering.  If you start getting retractions this
email may be the reason.  Please contact me if you have any questions.  Good
luck with your auction."

The e-mail he is talking about goes like this:

"i'm just wondering here are you people ever take a peek at
toysrus.com ? they got that goodie you're looking for only
129.99

no, i'm not getting paid by them by telling you. i just feel
it's kinda crazy that people go bid this work of art way
their actual price. i mean, common, it's not like this
is the 8880 or something. big stores still sell them right
now. "

This is the "offending" auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=257343772

Questions:
1. Is this sort of this OK with ebay - I can not see why not?

2. What's the big deal about the 8448? I searched ebay for "lego star wars"
and got 196 lots... all of which are still in shops near to me? Also what
about all the 4561's etc from clearance sales which swamped ebay?

3. How many bidders who are willing to pay +$100 on a Lego lot, will not
know how available this set is?

I dunno.. sounds like the guilty party has issues with competition. I see no
problem with selling the 8448 in whole or in parts.. people always tend to pay
more then Retail on ebay anyways... not everyone has acess to Shop @ Home and
not every toy store has the 8448. The one store I did fine the 8448, it was
grossly overpriced [well over 200$ CDN].

Me I'm glad that you are parting out 8448's.. its cheaper then buying a bunch
of complete 8448's just to get ahold of a few parts ;).

Regards,

Kurt