 Marketplace / Theory / 836
835  |  837
Subject:
Pulled off a snipe.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 02:35:00 GMT

and I feel kinda bad about it. I've never actually successfully sniped
anyone before. This was for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=241000230

which is not even for me... my father in law asked me to get it. I got
it with 10 seconds left, the other bidder outbid me at 20 seconds left
but wasn't ready to go with a counter (or didn't want to go over 95).

See, that's my big problem with eBay is that it makes good people go
bad. Because it's set up to encourage sniping, that's what people do.
Even virtuous people <grin> like me who don't like sniping get pulled
in. Set up a society to incent certain behaviours and you get those
behaviours.

I was ready to go 100 and if it wasn't for sniping, I would have. But
why go 100 if you can steal it away for 96 by a little sniping, that's
what I'm saying.

We've beat this to death before so I'm just venting.

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!