 Marketplace / Theory / 783
Re: FS: 1298 Advent Calendars, $8 each
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 21:54:17 GMT

Richard Marchetti wrote:

The point being: is there no rhyme or reason to the manner in which a
nationwide chain pursues a sale on LEGO.  Is it a store by store decision or
what?  This would not be the first time someone has announced something on
sale at a major chain, and I go to that specific store and find nothing on
sale.  So what am I doing wrong if anything? Am I not scrappy enough with the
sales clerks, what?

-- Richard

[moving it to l.market.theory]

After watching and listening to store people, it seems to be something like...

Corporate can tell regional when they *have* to mark something down.
Regional has little to say on the subject. Stores do what they are told
from higher up. After all, you can't get fired for following orders.

Regional can tell stores when they *have* to mark something down.

The recent round of price slashes (which started sometime between 12/25
and 01/01) seem to have been corporate imposed. I found almost exactly
the same markdowns in a dozen or more WMs. Except for one store (where
the shelves were effectively bare, so there was nothing to mark down
anyway). Since then, my local WM has edged those prices down slightly
(not just Lego, a whole variety of toys). Stuff on the low end of the
price scale has not moved. They *still* have 11-14 Ninja Fortress at
$59. I'm waiting to see what they do with that one. My guess is that the
corporate move was the beginning, then the stores get to follow on as
needed with reductions. Depending on the market dynamics, the original
markdown may have been effective or not. Where quantities of stuff is
still sitting around, the store gets to apply additional discounts. ALl
this goes back to something I mentioned a few months back about
'clearance dollars'. There seems to be some mystical formula that
calculates how many dollars each dept gets for clearancing product. What
I'm still confused about, is how different chains pick different sets to
clear out.

Ray