 Marketplace / Theory / 747
Re: tall tales dept.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 06:53:07 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Ray Sanders writes:
While visiting several stores yesterday, I heard two of what I think may
be 'tall tales' abut old stock ....

o  A manager who told me why he doesn't worry about all the old Legos
sitting around at full-price with this: "the manufacturers all take the
unsold stuff back and give us credit".  uh-huh... and what are you
waiting for ?

o  The WM stock person (10-year badge no less): "well, we mark it down
until someone buys it. After it gets to 90% off and it sits there for a
month or so, we hack up the packages, toss it in the dumpster and pour
red paint all over it"  I think this one was for real. It made my heart
skip a beat to think of what might have gone into that dumpster. After
all, this is the only WM I know that *still* has 3 'Skeleton Crew' on
the shelf (at retail).

Ray

I worked for a big NY-NE electronis/hard goods retailer 7 years ago....We
sometimes tossed fax machines, 35" Mitsubishi TV's, and stereos into a Star
wars style trash compactor....it was part of our markdown and destroy
budget...sometimes employee dollars per labor hour and costly(and limited)
retail space compelled the powers that be to destroy the products as a write
off...Besides I think WalMart does some bone-headed things, so I don't doubt
it...