 Marketplace / Theory / 2609
Re: 18 different Custom Lego Space sets available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 06:23:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Douglas R. Clark wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Lee Meyer wrote:
   I now have my 18th custom space design completed and available, adding to my complement of different custom space lego sets for sale. Prices for the sets range between $14.00 and $90. I have updated the prices recently so take some time to check them out.

snip

Hi Lee,

You have some pretty nice looking space MOCs there. However, I think that this post would be more appropriate in the lugnet.market groups than here in .space. I am somewhat new here myself, but I am under the impression that for-sale, auction announcement, and other buy/sell type posts are generally frowned upon in the theme groups.

I did look at your space MOCs and they are all pretty cool. I do have concerns with this particular custom since it appears to be patterned very closely (and named after) set 1789. I am not a lawyer but you may be infringing upon the lego fair-play policy and/or copyrights by using Unitron and Starhawk II names in a for-profit fashion.

The only other thing is that you prices did seem a bit high. Your price-per-piece ratio seemed to range between $35-$.50. I am not into trying to sell custom sets so I have no idea if that is reasonable or not. I guess it depends on the quailty of the overall model, quality of the set as a whole (packaging, instructions, et) and, ultimately, what people will pay for.

Anyways, good luck in your sales endeavours.

drc

follow-ups set to: lugnet.market.brickshops lugnet.market.theory

Hi Douglas, thanks for the reply. I actually have posted this in the market area, I just thought I’d post it in the Space area in case those people don’t browse the buy/sell/trade area. If they don’t normally post them here, I just won’t post it here again. Not trying to tick anyone off, just inform.

As for the Starhawk II name, if it would somehow become a problem, a simple name change on my end takes care of that. I have seen other people post creations with Starhawk, Star Hawk, etc. - but of course they weren’t selling them, either. :)

As per prices, well, I’ve been tweaking them myself anyways since I first put them out. I’ve been wrestling with what I feel they should be at. I’ve also looked at other people’s sites who sell custom stuff and, for some of these custom train sets I’ve seen you get very little and poorer parts (not many slopes, wedges) for way more than I’ve priced my models. The only other thing I have been trying to factor in is the S+H costs I have had to pay to get the parts to me, and the time it’s taken me to develop the different models.

I do appreciate the reply. I’ll check out the lugnet-theory area to see if there is more info about seting custom model prices.

Lee