 Marketplace / Theory / 2534
Re: Use of trademarks.. is www.legoaftermarket.com legal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 00:27:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, James Trobaugh writes:
I've never seen this site before (or if I did I don't remember it). I think
it's funny that he claims that he is going to file a class action law suite
over the re-release of the Metroliner. I wonder how far that got? Probally
about as far as his fighting LEGO over the use of LEGO in the URL.

     Seriously?  Hah!  I never actually checked the website out, but in
order for him to file a class-action lawsuit, he'd kinda need to be a lawyer
(otherwise it'd just be a personal lawsuit).  Anyways, it'd be drop-kicked
out of the courtroom in a New York second.  The biggest problem here is that
unless TLC _guaranteed_ that it would retain the same (or better)
collectible status, and that they would never reissue it to maintain that
collectible status, he's got no case.  If they never made any such
guarantees, and they're just reissuing a plain-vanilla set released in a
plain-vanilla way, it's their prerogative to do so.  They can even keep it
in production for fifty years if they feel like it (even if noone buys it).