 Marketplace / Theory / 2517
Re: Best time/day to list auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 17:53:17 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, William R. Ward writes:

As a seller, I'm trying to decide when is best to list auctions, and
I'd like input from you all:

Since ebay auctions always end 5, 7, etc. days from the moment they
are listed, it's important to start your auction (as the seller) at
the right time and day of week.

Do people mostly bid during business hours?  At home on weekends or
evenings?  What days of the week do you think get the most bidders?

--Bill.

All IMHO, only:

It's not as important when you start your auctions as when you end them.
Saturday is usually the best end date from the seller's standpoint, at least
for Lego.  I rarely bother bidding on Saturday-ending auctions because the
price climbs too high and there are multiple people thinking that they will
be the clever last second sniper (and the resultant bidding frenzy).
Anytime I sell Lego, I always match the start date so that it will end on
Saturday - Saturday, Monday, Wednesday for 7 day, 5 day, or 3 day auctions,
respectively.  Lego I win I usually got during the week, and not weekends.

The more competitive the bidding is for any given item, the less important
is the duration of the auction.  Perhaps this could also be stated that the
higher traffic areas don't need as long an auction.

Last second sniping takes place on Lego, WizKids figs, and the like.
Boardgames, books/photos, and electronics less so.  A saturday end date is
not as important for those.  I haven't sold enough comics yet to get a sense
of a pattern, though I think a longer auction time is called for, but end
date is not as vital.  Sunday is an okay end date, but not too late.

Keep in mind if you are east coast and it ends at 8 AM it's 5 AM west coast,
and if it's 8 PM west coast, it's 11 PM east coast.  Don't fence out half
the continent.

-->Bruce<--