 Marketplace / Theory / 2445
Re: New LEGO slogan: Play On ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:05:58 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jason Allemann writes:
Not sure if anyone's posted this news yet, but LEGO has decided to make some
branding changes, along with introducing a new slogan.  You can read the
press release here...

http://www.lego.com/eng/info/press/morepress.asp?RegionalSiteId=11&id=503

I cannot decide whether I like these changes or not.  They may be good, they
may not be, or maybe they will not affect me.

When I visited this link, the images to the right were not available, so it
is hard for me to comment on the brand-organization changes mentioned in the
article.  I imagine it is a matter of semantics for most AFOLs who pick and
chose their sets judgementally regardless of what theme it is under or what
age it is for.  Take for example Rock Raiders.  Some call it Space, some
call it Town, but it was marketed as its own thing.  And regardless of its
marketing if an AFOL wanted to make it Space, they would.  In this sense,
the changes hinted at could be indifferent.

But it could also be a good change.  What if, just what if, the new
structure of the brand no longer designates themes as rigidly as Castle and
Space (for example).  If this were true, then perhaps TLC could be able to
market what is effectively a box of Castle or Space elements, but if (under
the proposed system) it were labeled and marketed as a "Build & Create" set,
then they could argue it does not conflict with any contracts (SW, HP, etc.)
that might be running in the "Stories & Action" sets.  Thusly, it would
theoretically be possible that under the new portal system of marketing that
TLC could once again sell new lines of theme-related sets.   Hmmmm... Just
Imagine...

Speaking of "Just Imagine...", as we are hoping TLC is following that
slogan, the article discusses changing the slogan to "Play On..."
Personally, I do like the new slogan, but only perhaps because I already
sign many e-mails with that phrase, particularly when communicating with my
gaming friends.  Such a phrase is somewhat overused in RPG, boardgame, and
sport communities, that I am in the end uncertain if it is unique enough or
special enough for TLC.  I guess time will tell.  Of course, I am an
ellipses addict, so the continuing use of such is fine with me.

FUT: .market.theory, because I think that's what I'm doing, theorizing...

Play On...
-Hendo