 Marketplace / Theory / 2351
Re: eBay viewing change: implications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:53:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Wilson writes:
I recently threw a handful of lots on eBay, something I haven't done for a
while, and I've been puzzled by how slowly they were moving. Today I went
and took a look at the Lego category on eBay, and realised why: now, when
you pick a category to view, the default is to see *only* items which are in
the gallery (ie have paid the extra 25c to eBay to be in it).

You have to click a special "hide gallery" link in order to see items at all
which are not in the gallery. In other words, most buyers and browsers are
never going to see your item AT ALL if it's not in the gallery. Even the
link I just mentioned doesn't clearly communicate that there are more items
to see which are not in the gallery (it should say something like "show
non-gallery items" to do that).

So eBay has found yet another way to screw more money out of sellers,
because if you're not in the gallery you're not going to get a decent price
for your lots.

Using the search to find items still works to see items which aren't in the
gallery, but I suspect that most eBay browsers use the categories rather
than the search.

I always buy the gallery... but i'm not sure I
- admire eBay's cleverness
- loath eBay's perniciousness
or both.

This may be their most devious change yet. Man I wish they didn't have first
mover... (but we know what a wish is worth)