 Marketplace / Theory / 2330
Re: transcript is up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:15:44 GMT

Just a historical note on why it's called Black Friday.  In the olden days
when account tracking was done with paper and penicl at the end of the day
the accountant wrote down all the sales and returns that the bussiness did
it a really big big book.  Thee colors were used (primarly) for recording
keeping.  Gray by pencil for estimated, Red for any losses and black for
profits.  When the accountant would finish his books on Friday or saturday
it wa always a 'sea' of black ink for the day after thanksgiving since very
very very few people did returns and for the most part all transactions were
sales with PROFIT!  Thus BLACK Firday was coined.

The term is also refered to by the customer service and cashiers of retail
store becuase on that day a) EVERYONE MUST REPORT TO WORK (Blacked out day)
and b) customers are NOT customers but SAVAGES!  It is the day that every
customer service/cahsier hates to deal with.  I should know I use to be one
for Toys R US, KayBee Toys and The Sports Authority when I was in College.
Unless you have worked in customer service you understand that the customer
is an ANIMAL on that day.

-AHui