 Marketplace / Theory / 2314
Re: Question on Ep. 2 set releases
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:24:48 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Andrew Burt writes:
I'm posting this for question feedback and/or discussion. Has anybody
considered that a larger portion of the Star Wars line will not be offered
through the regular retail chains?

From a business perspective, why would Lego want to sell very popular sets at
wholesale when it can sell through their own distribution channels at retail?

Supply/Demand.

Retailers definitely want product to sell, so the company has previewed a good
selection of toys for that market.  Offering product to Wal-Mart, Target,
Zellers, etc... is good for volume, but can the company profit just as much by
selling at retail prices through the web-site and telephone orders?
If the current Shop@Home exclusives are doing great, I'm assuming they could
accomplish the same success with a wider variety of sets (especially SW Ep2).
"You buy a set off the shelf, get all excited, open the box, find an insert
showing more stuff not available at regular retail, get all excited for a
second time, rush to the computer with your credit card..."

Since you sell less, the R&D costs are higher per unit thus reducing profit.

I hope I'm totally off base since Zellers BOGO sales are the only thing that
has allowed by collection to grow and buying sets in USD is just no fun for us
Canadians.  Just wondering if anybody else has had similar thoughts/fears.

Thanks.

Jude