 Marketplace / Theory / 2263
Re: Non Paying Bidder question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:53:23 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Dave Astolfo writes:
Hi all,

I am not sure where this posting best fits. My apologies if there is a
proper place for this sort of message.

It comes up here, and sometimes in market.theory, a search there for non
paying may find some previous posts.

I would like to pose a question here before offering up the identity of this
user. I am looking for opinions on what is appropriate. I had a recent
auction. The person who won the auction decided to back out (in an un-polite
manner). This user's excuse was that shipping was too high. The funny part
was that the user asked for a shipping quote. He was given one while he was
early in the bid and did no retract it. After the auction he asked that I
offer a less expensive shipping method, which I did. The user still backed
out and will not return my email messages.  He claimed that he was going to
buy it from Walmart.com instead.  The issue I have with this person, is
mostly based on principle. If you are going to play the game on Ebay, then
you play it by the rules. A person bids, they are bound to a contract. My
rules are clear and the bidder is always requested to ask first before
bidding. Enough of the rant.

Agreed. Did you file an NPB on him with eBay? What was his feedback? I had a
buyer who after the auction was ended did not communicate with me at all.
Finally I filed a NPB and then he mailed me back, claimed he "didn't know
that he was buying something" so I told him that wasn't how eBay works, but
I'd let him off the hook if he paid the listing fees I was out. He refused,
so when the time ran out on non paying bidder, I filed a refund request and
left him a negative feedback and left it at that... he was a zero before,
now he's a minus one.

I mention that because I'm not sure I'd necessarily publicise the bidder's
handle... which gets to your question.

My question:

1) I would like to warn the Lugnet community about this person. What is
acceptable in terms of information? ebay username? email address? etc?

It varies, depends on how egregious the loss you suffered is.