 Marketplace / Theory / 210
Re: ebay is free to list today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 09:59:01 GMT

  I agree with Frank - eBay isn't working well lately.  It seems to me they
shouldn't have had this free listing event at this time.  The MyeBay and
searches have been on the blink for a couple weeks (or months?) - I think
they should have made those (and everything else) work flawlessly before
trying to do more.  I also don't see why they choose to disable these
features - it would make more sense to disable stuff like the e-mailed
outbid notices which never arrive on time anyway.  I think there are going
to be a lot of disappointed buyers and sellers by the time all these current
auctions run their course.
   I think this week will be great for buyers, if they can get through and
keep track of the stuff they are bidding on - this just helps the people
with the snipe programs even more than normal.  The snipe programs keep
track of the items for you, but I think most people rely on the MyeBay and
the searches.
  On another note, the free listing event appears to be successful so far -
there are 60% more auctions on eBay than there were one week ago.
--
   Have fun!
   John
Frank Filz wrote in message <37D90CBE.1310@mindspring.com>...
dkrenz wrote:

Now, I know Mike has set up BRICKS for us and it is always FREE, ;-)
Thanks Mike!!!!
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/
But if you're looking to get a bit more exposure ebay is finally giving
us that free day they promised back in the beginning of summer. But
hurry up, it's only until midnight tonight. I just found out.

Unfortuanately one casualty of this free day was temporarily dropping
the "my eBay" service. How do they expect people to keep track of
auctions without this? They even suggested they might have to drop
search by bidder (fortuanately they didn't do this). Great. The result
would have been no way to tell what you're currently bidding on. It's
bad enough that the my eBay no longer gives your maximum bid (so if you
lose the bid confirmation e-mail, there's no way to tell how much you're
currently committed to spending - I wonder how many people have had to
cancel bids because of this).

I really hope Serious Collector takes off. We need a good source of LEGO
set and piece auctions.

Follow ups to lugnet.market.theory

--
Frank Filz