 Marketplace / Theory / 1955
Re: What if TLC went out of business?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:19:01 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:

Hey Y'all:

What would happen if TLC went out of business?  In particular I am
interested in what would happen to their patents and copyrights.

I don't know that much about this field of the law beyond some basics.
Could KKK retain such property rights?  Or do such property rights belong
exclusively to TLC as a fictitious person as long as it is in business and
not thereafter?

I would think that there might be different answers for these questions as
regards U.S., European, and International law.

Anyone want to take a stab at answering these questions?  I am just
speculating, there is nothing sinister behind the questions. Feel free to
post followups where it pleases you, I wasn't sure where to put it except
maybe this newsgroup.

In the US I believe patents are always held by an individual, however
they may be assigned to a corporation. Copyrights may be held by
corporations. When the corporation is disolved, its assets will be
distributed to the creditors. Since TLC is a privately held company, so
long as it didn't go bankrupt, the family would be free to assign the
copyrights to anyone they chose. I'm not sure about the patents, they
might revert to the patent holder (who in many cases is probably not a
member of the family). I have no idea about the trademarks but I would
assume they wouldn't just instantly be dropped, but presumably they
eventually expire.

Being a Danish company, the IP rights would be judged using Danish law
by most countries in most cases.

Of course IANAL...

--
Frank Filz