 Marketplace / Theory / 1620
Re: Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 22:45:56 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Daniel S. Allen writes:
I think this is the right place to post this...

Seems as good as any.

I do know that some people will go out and buy loads of a
certain set and then sell it off 10 years later.

I doubt it.  Anyone out there doing that?  I think you would be better off
buying into a mutual fund.

So what I'm wondering is, how
long will sets like that be found on auctions, ebay, etc?

You find sets of all ages on eBay etc.  But they've rarely been held as an
investment.  Sometimes, a supply (like, DYA) will open up some rare set (like
8888) at a good price and people will snap them up and resell them.  So it
depends more on the source, than on how full their closet is.

Will most people
wait a LOONG time, until the sets are worth like $500?

It would be dumb.  Almost no sets are worth $500 and I have a hard time
imagining that even in fifty years, that my mint Twisted Time Train will be
worth that...unless we're accounting for inflation.

Or will they sell them sooner?

Sooner.  Buy them at the very end of their shelf cycle on clearance and then
sell the to people coming out of their dark ages in two years.  Or better yet,
break them down and sell them now.  Or even better yet, play with them.

Chris   (living)