 Marketplace / Theory / 1550
Re: Brickbay automatic shipping fee calculation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 02:26:49 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Dan Jezek writes:
I've been thinking on how best to design this feature where shipping
would be automatically calculated upon checkout...

It's a good idea, but I'd suggest two more options if I could...
E) 5 slots to input if (# of elements) is greater than X
F) Shipping calculated manually (as is the current setup)
The former of these would be cool, because my shipping costs (to the US)
are based on weight, and the total $$ doesn't necessarily reflect that
as well as the total elements.

I concur with James and Eric.  Shipping cost is based on weight, and
piece count reflects that better than $value.  In the odd case, the
default values will need to be over-ridden due to an unusual situation,
but most of the time, having the computer calculate shipping will
certainly save me effort.

This is an idea you probably won't make use of, but what if you had
a section for LUGr co-op or something that would alert buyers to other
shops in the same LUG/state/etc. where combinded shipping is an option.
That way if Eric was shopping in James store (and was facing a $10 S&H
charge) he would be advised that my store was in the same area.  He
would click on the "NALug" link or whatever and browse my store too.
Assuming he made purchases from both stores, his S&H might be $12
instead of $20.   (I'm just pulling these #s out of the air of course.)

I guess this is kind of related to my other suggestion about "BrickBank".
Was there any resolution of that?  I think Larry said he was going to
post a detailed reply once he was back from Australia...

SRC