 Marketplace / Theory / 154
Re: The AucZilla 500 auction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 17:44:41 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
Simon Robinson wrote:
I did start to feel some sympathy for Ebay's fixed-time-limit auctions:
This was largely because of my experience with one set, for which
I had a high proxy bid and for which I was prepared to pay a ridiculous
amount to get: Three times in a row someone attempted to outbid
me after the set had gone to going twice. In every case it was clear
they were just testing the water to see if my actual bid was my
maximum - it wasn't - so the effect was just to leave me with the
highest bid - but one dollar higher. Except that it also set back the
status to open. Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining - it
was perfectly fair. It's just frustrating to keep coming so near then
get set back by a few days when you have already placed a high
proxy bid.

I had this happen to me also. It turned out the person bidding against
me was new to auctioning and didn't understand proxy bidding. A gentle
note to him prompted a proxy bid from him (which still didn't beat
mine).

I thought this was a feature, not a problem.  I confess I sometimes bid
the minimum increment on G2 items just to keep them open.  I felt I had
to keep something on the backburner just in case I got beat on my prime
targets.  I glad I did it too since I got clobbered on the Majisto's tower
set that I originally had my eye on.  I hate to see my 2nd choice go early
for a low price while the outcome of my first choice is in doubt.

Apologies for any frustration I may have caused, even if it was on purpose.

Don