 Marketplace / Theory / 1477
Re: In the News - Paypal & scam artist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 22:49:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Ka-On Lee writes:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2605840,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01

What do you guys think?

I'm not suprised.  Asking PayPal to protect a payment is like asking the Post
Office to help when someone cashed the check you mailed them and didn't send
the item.  It seems to be just another case of "I was stupid, now who can I
blame?"

This is why Ebay and the like have feedback information.  I've walked away from
many "Too Good to Be True" auctions because the seller had no feedback.  Even a
little history should be some assurance, but this too can be faked.

In the end, people who do this can be punished, but it rarely fits the crime.
Preparedness is always the best defense.

-Sean