 Marketplace / Shopping / 9904
Re: Lego kiosk spotted in PA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:43:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Greg Perry writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Bryan Kinkel writes:
While shopping at the King of Prussia mall in suburban Philadelphia, PA my
wife and I came across a large retail Lego kiosk. The kiosk was in the
middle of the mall walkway and manned by one employee. It was about the size
of the kiosks that sells calendars around this time of year.

I was in the local Waldenbooks a few weeks ago and struck up a conversation
about Lego with one of the clerks when she commented on my Lego watch.
According to her, Waldenbooks partners with Lego for the holiday shopping
season (which I imagine is now officially underway since after all it is
after Labor Day) and together run kiosks at various malls.  In our area
there was only supposed to be one kiosk set up.  The clerk actually
expressed relief that her mall was not hosting it since the running of the
stand becomes the responsibility of the local Waldenbooks employees.

I don't know if the PA kiosk that Bryan spotted is part of the same program
but I thought I throw out this information.  Folks may be seeing these
kiosks in their area - but I assume they'll be gone by January.

Happy Shopping!

Greg

Hello all! I work for a Waldenbooks in the Baltimore area, and I helped set
up and have since spent a lot of my time working at the LEGO kiosk. Yes, the
prices are all marked up (a $50 set becomes $55, etc.), and the worst part
is no employee discount (which would be 33% at Waldenbooks)! The selection
is 1/4 Harry Potter, 1/4 Bionicle, 1/4 Duplo/Bob the Builder, and the rest
split between Star Wars, Jack Stone, Galidor and Extreme Stunts.

It's been fun to actually get to sell LEGO to people and educate them a
little, to move to the other side of the counter as it were. So far,
Bionicle has been the best seller, followed by Harry Potter. I have yet to
sell a single Galidor product. I have fielded a surprising number of
questions from parents and from adult fans asking, "Where is all the good
LEGO?" or "Why don't they make sets like the used to?"

My kiosk in in Towson Town Center (3rd floor by the Gap), so if you're near
Charm City, stop by and take my mind off my aching feet for a minute.

-Marc Nelson Jr.