 Marketplace / Shopping / 9887
9886  |  9888
Subject:
Lego kiosk spotted in PA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:16:44 GMT

While shopping at the King of Prussia mall in suburban Philadelphia, PA my
wife and I came across a large retail Lego kiosk. The kiosk was in the
middle of the mall walkway and manned by one employee. It was about the size
of the kiosks that sells calendars around this time of year.

If you want to visit the Lego kiosk - it is in the King of Prussia Plaza,
first floor, near Nordstroms, by the Bose audio store and Williams Sonoma.

From a setup point of view, it was neat. It had the large Lego logo sign in
the air, so you could see it from a good distance as you are walking down
the mall. It was made of black sectional shelving. Endcaps had Bionicle and
Harry Potter signage and product murals. The Harry Potter mural showed the
Fall 2002 sets, but none were on the shelves. They carried most sets you see
on the shelves at other retailsers - nothing special. They did have a few
child sized castle swords and sheilds that can be seen at the Lego outlet in
Virginia. But no service packs, bulk or old sets.

I was disappointed in the pricing - most sets were 10% to 30% or more above
MSRP. For example, the small red bucket with Max & Tina was 15.99. I
typically see this at TRU for 9.99.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005BYKU/qid=1033394466/br=1
-4/ref=br_lf_t_4//104-2484524-2352747?v=glance&s=toys&n=594692

Mall retail space is expensive and I suppose Lego is going for the impulse
purchase by parents who don't know better. I expect it is just a seasonal
setup.

I know that Lego is planning to open their own retail stores and I hope one
goes into the King of Prussia mall. Perhaps this kiosk is there to raise
brand awareness before a store opens...

( See
http://www.lego.com/eng/info/press/morepress.asp?RegionalSiteId=11&id=453
for more information about the Lego retail stores.)

If Lego does open a store near me, I doubt I will be purchasing from it
because I typically buy only bulk bricks via S@H and sets that are on sale
at the mass retailers. But if the Lego retail stores carry scoopable bulk
bricks, it will be hard to keep my daughter and I away.

It is a shame - whenever I talk to other parents about Lego products, the
first thing that comes up is the price.

Bryan