 Marketplace / Shopping / 8683
Re: Surprise Bag Offer Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:26:19 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Conrad Frank writes:
In one of my 2002 catalog there is a card for a surprise bag offer
when ordering from the catalog. Has anyone done this before? Does it
turn out to be worth it? What sets did you get with this deal in the
past?

The deal lists two Surprise Bags, one seems to require the purchase of
another item from the catalog, while the other does not. Can you get
both? Is this a once-per-person deal, or can I order the surprise bags
multiple times over several orders?

Thanks!

Conrad

I don't think we have seen this type of deal from Shop At Home for a few
years,
but in the 1990's it was offered most years.  Some past discussions about
similar offers are here -->
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=6dmoet%24h5s%40gap.cco.caltech.edu
and the first 5 discussions listed here -->
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2Bmagical+%2Bbox+%2Bsurprise&meta=group%3Dr
c.toys.lego

Since no one yet knows what goodies we might get, I will speculate on how this
offer might work (Similar to years past).

-- you can order as many at a time as you want

-- the items you get may or may not be the same each time you order, but if
you
order many on the same day or the same week it is likely that you will get
identical items.  Also, 2 people ordering on the same day might get different
items.

-- the items offered tend to be older items that Shop At Home wants to move
out
of their warehouse.  Could be discontinued service packs, could be key chains,
could be small sets, could be over-stocked promotional items, could be
something totally new (but unlikely).

-- the item you get when you order might be really cool like a theme service
pack or could be kinda boring like a pack of little Technic pins or wheels.
This all depends on who gets what and what you like.

-- [totally speculating]  I envision some large bin or rack of items sitting
in
the Shop@Home warehouse.  Periodically, small inventory items are dumped here
among all the other stuff there already.  Workers who pack orders simply
select
a random item when someone orders the Surprise Bag.  There could be 5,000
units
of the same item or there could be 27 units of one item and 41 units of
another
and so on.  I figure it is just a good way to move small items at discount
without having to track a lot of different products at the same time--all
items
are inventoried simply as the Surprise Bag assortment and their individual
product codes eliminated.

As people order and receive the Surprise Bag items, I hope many will come back
here to Lugnet to report what they received.

__Kevin Salm__
....Beginning the new year up to my eyeballs in Lego....

.