 Marketplace / Shopping / 8072
Re: Small Wal-Marts and Lego product.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 06:58:23 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:
The question: are small Wal-Mart stores scalling back on Lego

Background: on my various buying circuits, I visit WalMarts of all sizes, from
the newest mega-centers, to the original small town WalMarts. The other day, I
visited one of those 'original' stores and found that there was almost no Lego
product. The only item with a shelf slot was one of the creator buckets. Nor • was
there any Duplo / Primo being sold there. Everything that remained, including
some of the small Ogel sets, were on an end-cap being clearanced. At another
store, the toy dept had product, but no shelf slots for it. All of the newer
Lego product was stuffed up on an overhead. I asked the toy dept lady about
that, but she showed a desire not to want to discuss the subject other than
"they didn't give me any palce to put it". Two other 'original' stores did • have
the usual small-store stock of Lego product.

Anyone else noticing this ?

Ray

Sounds like you are our resident expert on Wal-Marts.  But you keep asking
the rest of us what we know.  Wouldn't things work out better the other
way 'round. :)

Personally, I only go to a Wal-Mart when I intend to buy Lego on clearance or
when I absolutely have to.

I don't personally like Wal-Marts' practices of pressuring manufacturers to
lower their wholesale costs so WM can buy inventory at less cost.  Unless WM
wants to take over the manufacturing of all goods it sells, they should leave
the product cost to those that produce them.  People with manufacturing jobs
should be allowed to receive good wages and investors should be allowed profit
for their investment.  Manufacturers will quit making products or selling to
WalMark altogether if they cannot do it profitably because buyers balk at
prices.  And I am not talking little rinky-dink companies--I mean huge
multi-nationals like Gillette, Procter & Gamble, Kraft General Foods Philip
Morris, The Lego Group, Etc.

I am not an expert on any of this and I do not wish to debate any of this, they
are just my personal views whether unfounded, unsound, or unrealistic.  I am
just not a fan of WalMart and I almost never shop there.  Period.

Followup-to set for off-topic.debate but I will not go there to respond.

__Kevin Salm__

.