 Marketplace / Shopping / 749
748  |  750
Subject:
Watch those prices (and those cashiers too)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:25:16 GMT

Sorry about the length of this.

I had an interesting experience shopping a few nights ago.

I was at one of the usual stores I frequent, looking over the clearance items.
I saw some LEGO sets that I was interested in, picked one up, looked at the
clearance sticker; original price $39.99, clearance price $34.94.  Well the on
the same table was a sign that read something like, "Clearance items 25% or
more off original prices".  Obviously that particular set and in fact all of
the LEGO sets were (what I thought) marked incorrectly, or they were all on the
wrong table.  Well I was interested in finding out so I went to ask a cashier
nearby.  Gets kinda interesting here. :-)

I'll try to recreate the atmosphere and conversation:
Large Retail store
10:30pm at night, 30 minutes till closing
Myself
Cashier(about 60 years old, sweet grandma type)(boy did she have me fooled)
Asst. Manager (late 20's)
No one else visible nearby
Sale going on of 20% of all LEGO sets. (YEA!!)(one of the reasons I stopped in)

Me: Excuse me, could I ask you a question over here?

Cashier: (trying to finish something) Sure, be right there.

[at the table now]
Me: I was curious about these sets on this table here.  They don't appear to be
marked down 25% (holding the box up to show her).

Cashier: (with a slight attitude) They are already marked down, see (pointing
to the clearance sticker).

Me: Yes I see that, but that's not 25% off from the original price and this
sign here reads (pointing to the sign) "... 25% off or more ...".  (trying to
clam her down) Maybe these happen to be on the wrong table?

Cashier: (A little more of an attitude, pointing at the clearance sticker again
and interrupting me) You don't understand sir, see, it's been marked down.
(then turning to a asst. manager who had just walked into the area) Could you
come here and explain the this price to him.

Me: I was just curious about these sets here, they don't appear to be marked at
25% off but the sign reads, "... 25% off or more ...".

Cashier: (talking to the asst. manager) You try to explain it to him, I'll go
get my calculator and prove it to him that they are already 25% off. (huffs
off)

Me: (surprised, stunned and perplexed look on my face) Why am I getting snipped
at?

Asst. Manager: (holding the box now) Sorry about that sir, she gets like that
sometimes, I'm going to talk to her about that.  Yes, the tag is wrong, it
should be $8 off.

Me: 25% off $40 is $10.

Asst. Manager: No it's $8, oh wait, I'm sorry your right. (starts writing
something on the tag)

(now I hope he meant my math is right, not the customer is always right :-)

Cashier: (back now)(looks at what Asst. Manager is writing) You can't do that,
it's already been marked down! And he's going to get an additional 20% off with
the sale.

Asst. Manager: I can, I just did, and I know he'll get the additional off. (he
wrote additional 50% off clearance price)

Cashier: (now she's pissed off) Well fine then, if your going to do that for
him I can get 50% off also, I've got grandkids!! (shoving her way past him and
grabbing at the sets on the table)

Asst. Manager: (says her name loudly and looks at her)(trying to regain
composure of the situation)

Cashier: (walks off in a huff)

Me: (shocked and surprised but staying out of it, watching the dust settle :-)

Asst. Manager: Which sets did you want now? (and proceeds to mark them 50% off
clearance price)

Me: (I hand him the sets I want, then get them back after he marked them) I
think I'll go to another cash register.

Asst. Manager: Good idea, I need to talk to her.

Me: Thanks for your help.

Asst. Manager: Your welcome.

Were you able to follow that? :-)  When all said and done, I got two $40 sets
at about $14 each and two $10 sets at about $3 each.  I decided not to go for
more cause I thought that might have looked bad and I wasn't really after a big
haul. I was thinking just one of the $40 sets 25% off for $30 and then the
additional 20% off to make it $24. He was fine with me getting the sets I had
picked. I was just looking for a good deal but I didn't expect THAT good.

Tom