 Marketplace / Shopping / 7036
Re: TRU and MSRP+ pricing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:25:29 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:
Has anyone else noted that TRU seems to be taking older sets and pricing them
above what MSRP originally was ?

I was in a TRU the other day, way up on top of the shelf I noted a couple of
Explorien sets. I got them pulled down and, to my surprise, they were scanning
above MSRP ($2-$5 above). I had a chat with the store manager, she said "Oh yes,
we want to be the place that still has those older toys when you can't find them
anywhere else".  Hmmm...  almost seems like TRU has been paying attention to
eBay, et al.

Ray
Ray -

Say it isn't so!
Actually, I was starting to suspect that when I noticed a new database
system in an older TRU I was in recently.  I brought a few sets that scan as
"not on file" up to the manager, and they entered the UPC into the new
system, and up comes the original price, and in some cases, it was MSRP+.
Bummer.  I used to be able to convince them that I would help clear their
shelves if they sold them at their clearance price scheme of the good old
days, when prices ended in .90 when sets were priced to move.

Actually, I guess I see their point, but do they really want to save shelf
space for old toys instead of newer ones?

Ed