 Marketplace / Shopping / 6861
Re: 20% off @ Meijers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:01:05 GMT

To All,

Meijers (a Wal-Mart clone here in the Midwest)

A clone?  No way!  I could be wrong, but I believe
Meijers has been around
longer than Wal-Mart.

Indeed, Meijer started in the 20's or something. (A Meijer
employee who doesn't rememer the history, sheesh!)

If anything, Wal-Mart is a clone of Meijer.

I would have to agree. It is all right, but I am more
inclined to support Meijer since it did start in Michigan.
I have always liked Meijer's selection of LEGO, for
instance. : )

I also like most Meijer stores better than most Wal-Mart
stores; YMMV.
Meijer's have a full grocery, as well as the durable
goods.  I've never
seen a Wal-Mart with anything except boxed foods, such as
soda, chips and
breakfast cereal.

I do as well, although there are now Walmart supercenters,
which do have a grocery. I saw one in South Bend, Indiana,
but not as many here in Michigan.

And the Meijer employees tend to be a cut above the
Wal-Mart employees.
Not always, but usually.

As a person who has worked and is working at Mejier right
now, I think it is a good place to be, if you like to work.
It is also a place where you can go up the ladder as well.
Our lovely union (The UFCW - United Fascists and Communist
Whiners Union (My definition) - really named the United Food
and Commerical Workers Union) says that is why it is better
than Walmart, but I think most people at Meijer care more,
from what I have seen. the UFCW ates Walmart with a passion,
namely because they are not in control of that yet. All of
this is my personal opinion, of course, based on working
there on and off since 1994, my college days.

Drat!  I wish I had seen this last week.  I'll have to
check my local
stores (and hope Larry has been out of town).

You can ask for rain checks for the sale, but I don't know
if they offer Larry came through checks! ; )

Scott S.

Please visit http://www.cleanweb.net