 Marketplace / Shopping / 654
Re: New robotics sets spotted at Zany Brainy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:32:42 GMT

I looked in the Zany Brainy in Reston, VA and they diddn't have the new
droid sets,
but they did have _36_  6195 Neptune Discovery Labs at $79 ea.

KL

Frank Filz wrote:

This may be old news to those who follow the robotics news groups (I gave
up - too much to follow). The Zany Brainy in Raleigh NC (and presumably most
others) has the new Droid Developers kit ($99.99) and the new Scout set
($149.99). The Scout will be able to communicate with an RCX (they mention
RIS v. 1.5 on the box - no mention of what it is).

Interesting things noted about the Scout:

built in light sensor
2 input ports for touch sensors
2 touch sensors
2 output ports
2 motors
2 clutches (a piece sorely missing from Mindstorms RIS)
I/R communications (may have a better field of view than RCX - its
top/front/center instead of middle/front/center).
BLUE

It mentions that future add on will allow full programming (I suspect it is
fully compatible with the RCX I/R protocol, no idea if the firmware is
replaceable).

Frank