 Marketplace / Shopping / 6301
Re: Not looking good for eToys...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:23:52 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Trade press is reporting that eToys has said they are going to run out of
cash sometime in March or so barring another funding round or a white
knight. And with Amazon allying with TRU on the toy front, there's not too
much hope of a ecommerce white knight I don't think. With monkey wards
exiting retailing (as well as Bradlee's), I'm not sure a conventional
retailer will appear to buy them either. Might... eToys built a fulfillment
operation that someone might want. But I doubt it.

Actually I suspect that a conventional retailer or white knight could NOT
buy eToys.
Under Section 203 of the Delaware General Corporation Law they are forbidden
to engage in a business combination with an interested stockholder for a
period of 3 years following the date that that person became an interested
stockholder.
Now I am not a legal expert by a long shot but this section does apply to
eToys as stated in their form 8-K filing and seems to make it difficult for
a white knight or retailer to purchase or merge with them.

I posted this earlier but seems appropriate again... a clip from their SEC
filing in December states:

"WE HAVE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF DEBT AND MAY HAVE INSUFFICIENT CASH FLOW TO
SATISFY OUR DEBT SERVICE OBLIGATIONS. IN ADDITION, THE AMOUNT OF OUR DEBT COULD
IMPEDE OUR OPERATIONS AND FLEXIBILITY."

The dot com bubble has burst. There is more woe to come. It's not just the
marginal guys with no real business plan like mypersonalunderwearshopper.com
who are going under, either.

I agree... but only to a certain extent.  The recent significant failures
and the many more which are sure to follow simply highlight the fact that
good technology does not (necessarily) make good business.  Personally I
suspect that the "click-and-mortar" companies with well-planned eCommerce
strategies will reap significant rewards.

++Lar