 Marketplace / Shopping / 6061
Re: Walmart Droid Developer Kits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:33:17 GMT

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Jacob Kraft wrote:

If some stores are putting large numbers of a given set on the shelves (29
and 54!), it sounds like they have too many and really are trying to get rid
of them, so $24.97 might be the actual price and not an error.  Of course,
this doesn't mean that there wasn't an error in their stock order.  Usually
I only see 2 or 3 of any given large set on the shelves at one time.

They could have overstocked, sold them for cheap on their website for awhile
(while they still had their warehouse full), and then corrected the website
price as the stock moved out to stores and the warehouses emptied.
Remember, some people did place successful orders via the web before the
price error showed up -- e.g. some posters successfully went through the
entire order process on the web and got the cheap price.

Of course, its all speculation unless you work at WalMart and know what
happened.  I imagine that if it was an error that was costing them hundreds
or thousands of dollars that they would correct it fairly quickly.  The fact
that they haven't makes me believe it is not an error, but just the way they
price things as the stock moves through their system.

I stopped by a Wal-Mart (Fridley, MN) tonight to see if they had any.
They did not.  I did, however, see a LEGO rep there.  She informed me that
500 Wal-Marts nationwide would be receiving them.  I saw her refer to some
sheet that mentioned the $25 price, so it's probably not a mistake.

-Christopher