 Marketplace / Shopping / 5699
Re: eToys shipping rates - yuck!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 22:22:10 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Shiri Dori writes:
I just went to eToys.com to check out the lego-SW sale they have. I was
really excited over the prices, some really good sets are 50% off, and I
rushed to order them - seemed like a *great* deal.

It depends on what you buy, and how many.

That is, until I reached the checkout and saw the shipping prices. Sheesh!
The shipping added about 25% to my total cost. They tack on a base cost of
$3, plus $0.95 for *each* item. And that's *standard* shipping. Man. There
goes my excitement...

I assume you bought either the Lightsaber Duel or the Droid Starfighter?--
regularly $5.99?  Well, if you're paying $2.99 + $.95 for shipping, you're
still saving 33% over the retail price.  In fact, figure in state sales tax
and you're actually still saving 37% ($3.94 from eToys vs. $6.29 if you paid
full retail price in Massachusetts, for example).

But you know what else?  This is the cool part:

1.  If you buy a Snowspeeder (a significantly larger set) from eToys, the
shipping on that is still only $.95.  So, figure $9.99 + $.95 vs. $19.99 + 5%
($10.94 vs. $20.99) and you're saving 48% in that case -- almost 50%.

2.  eToys shipping costs max out at something like $15 or $20.  So the more
you buy at once, the less overhead you pay in shipping, relative to the total
cost.

I might still buy those sets, but I wish they'd at least let you know
upfront what the shipping rates were.

Ahh, but they DO!  On the page where you view the LEGO set you want to buy,
it says clearly, "This item ships as a Little Thing."  Then you can click the
link that says "See our shipping page for more information" and it tells you
that a Little Thing incurs a $.95 per item shipping charge in the U.S.

Maybe I wouldn't have bought them if I
knew the actual price. I hate those marketing tricks.

I don't think it's a trick.  You just have to read carefully.  And buy a lot
at once.  :-)

--Todd

p.s.  Full disclosure:  I make a small increment of money whenever someone
buys LEGO from eToys using a link from a LUGNET webpage (for example, the
Brickwise listings).  It's therefore in my interest to convince you to buy
LEGO from eToys.  But I also happen to think that eToys offers pretty good
service and excellent values from time to time.  I've bought quite a bit of
LEGO from eToys in the past 2 years and have never been disappointed.