 Marketplace / Shopping / 2081
2080  |  2082
Subject:
Selling Target Clearance Items (Was: Re: Target Sales)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:20:57 GMT

Timbo wrote:

Has anyone noticed whether all the 75% off stuff from target is starting
to show up on Ebay yet.  I figure a lot of the people who buy at these
sales are not going to use the toys, or even give them to someone who
will, but are trying to scalp them.  I have a feeling these clearence
sales are going to start being cleaned out, not by collectors or users
of the toys, but people trying to make a quick buck.

This is more likely with Playmobil than with LEGO, IMHO.  What I do is buy a
lot of a set at 75% off, and then I part out 1/4 of them into lots that I
offer on auctions.  The 1/4 I sell finances the 3/4 I keep, and I put some
serious labor into splitting up parts, organizing lots, and writing those
darn descriptions.  :)

I have noticed virtually every Playmobil set I found on clearence at
Target now has several copies for sale on Ebay.  I haven't been able to
tell with the Lego though.  It really pisses me off that I couldn't find
more on clearence when at least I would actually use it.

Well, if not for eBay, I couldn't afford to buy most of the sets I want.  I
see nothing wrong with selling off some of the merchandise to finance one's
own buying--the only time I might have a problem is when someone is
completely mercenary and has no love of any kind for the Brick itself.
However, I'm inclined to say that a store is a store is a store, and if you
can get there with your shopping cart first, by all means take your fill.
Usually I've been on the short end of that stick; this year was a serious
anomaly.

One thing about selling Target sale merchandise as-is:  eBay would be
flooded and the price would depress.  That happened with the 2000 SW sets
(which were going for less than 10% over MSRP, and then usually to
Europeans, just before Christmas), and it will happen when/if a bazillion
Sith Infiltrators find their way to eBay.  This is one reason that I part
sets out; I offer parts from multiples of those sets at auction, thus
providing both a service to other LEGO aficionados (usually for less than
they'd otherwise have paid) but also as a way to keep my collection
growing.  Parting sets out also generally ensures that the elements will be
used, not left on a shelf somewhere.

This is getting dangerously close to .market.theory material.

best

LFB