 Marketplace / Shopping / 1407
Re: LEGO outlet store, how does it work ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:20:59 GMT

Ralph Döring wrote in message ...
Hello everyone,

please excuse this silly question, but I don´t understand exactly how this
store works:

What is an LEGO outlet store ?
Is it a shop owned by TLC ?
Is it possible for LEGO outlet stores to have direct access to TLCs storage • ?
In other words: Is the outlet store the place to find the last remains of
discontinued sets TLC might have ?
Are there any in Europe ?

I only know outlet stores directly connected to the company/production • where
you can get 2. quality products. This could be only damaged boxes with LEGO
products, or am I wrong ?

Thanks for your time, dö

I'll try and answer your questions based on a conversation I had on the
phone with Buffie the manager (who has also posted here on LUGNET so she is
probably the person to really answer your questions).

Right now there are two LEGO outlet stores, one in Georgia (absolute
location escapes me) and one at Potomac Mills Mall near Dale City, Virginia.
As I understand it, these stores are owned and operated by TLC much like the
LEGO Imagination Centers stores in Downtown Disney (Florida) and at the Mall
of America (Minnesota).  From what I understand, the two outlet stores are
essentially an experiments by TLC.  If it does well then more stores might
appear.  At this time there are no plans for more stores.  So ... support
the two stores and maybe we'll all end up with a LEGO outlet!

The outlet stores will carry older stock that either has been discontinued
or is nearing the end of production life.  They may also carry stock from
Europe that did not sell in the US.  We have seen KB Toys and LEGO S@H with
European packaging, it sounds like the LEGO Outlet will get similar stock.

While probably not the only place to find discontinued LEGO sets, it
certainly appears to be a place that one can expect to find odds and ends
that you won't find elsewhere.  Other chains will likely get older stock as
well.  For example, the Zany-Brainy in Raleigh just got 30+ Technic Space
Shuttles in stock as well as a few 5561 Big Foot 4x4 sets.  Other people
have reported finding the 5561 at KB Toys for $40.  When I spoke with Buffie
the other day she mentioned that the Outlet would receive 5561 probably this
weekend and it would be priced at $59.99.

Other can people who have physically been to either store can probably shed
addtional light on the topic.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh