 Marketplace / Shopping / 11068
Re: LEGO wobbles as Star Wars and Harry Potter sales tumble
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:44:46 GMT

From the articles -

Poul Plougmann told the Danish newspaper Boersen the trend this year had
been
"unexpectedly bad, nearly catastrophic", although full Christmas sales
figures were not
yet known and could push the company into a recovery.

OUCH!

Kevin, thanks for posting.

Several Toys R Us stores in the Philadelphia area are simply clogged with
Star Wars and Harry Potter merchandise. It seems the public's appetite for
fantasy is more Lord of the Rings than HP / SW.

I stopped in the Media PA Toys R Us last night and noted an interesting
contrast between the two ends of the Lego shelf.

The HP & SW side of the display was very well stocked. You could tell it had
been picked through during the last week. Boxes were shuffled around, etc.
But there were many copies of each set. Even the new Star Wars sets
(Snowspeeder & Mos Eisley) were present in quantity. HP sets are everywhere.

But the Creator end of the shelf was devestated. Not a single bucket was to
be found. And only a few of the larger Creator/Inventor/Designer sets were
present.

I think that tells you something. I believe that TRU was trying to move out
the HP & SW sets with their recent BOGO sale.

But I don't think it worked.

So I'm waiting for them to restock the bucket & Creator side of the shelf
before using my $25 gift card...

Bryan

"Kevin McMillin" <kevin@snpages.com> wrote in message

<http://www.money.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2003/12/30/cnl
ego30.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2003/12/30/ixfrontcity.html
LEGO predicting 2003 sales losses>

Similar article at
<http://afr.com/articles/2003/12/30/1072546502980.html The Australian • Financial
Review>

That's too bad - it seemed to me like 2003 was a good year,¬
I certainly bought more than in a long time.

-Kevin