 Marketplace / Shopping / 1021
1020  |  1022
Subject:
RCX 1.0 availablilty
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 03:15:03 GMT

This is a message I posted on RTL:

Here is what I have observed so far:

The RCX's in the plain 1.0 boxes all have power jacks.
The RCX's in the 1.0 boxes with 1.5 upgrade stickers also have the jacks
The RCX's in the 1.5 boxes do not have power jacks, even though the
  RCX brick still says 1.0.  Note The 1.5 boxes say 1.5 in big
  huge letters and the RCX bricks on the box do not have power jacks
  (and they show the new parts selection on the back).

In the USA:

Zany Brainy only has 1.0 boxes with upgrade stickers (in the 3 stores
I surveyed).  They seem to have about 12 in each store right now.
They do take phone orders.

TRU: I don't remember seeing RCX's in TRU, except recently.  I would
assume that they were 1.5's since they would be new buys.

Target:  At least one Target near me has 2 1.5's.  Assume that
all Target's are new purchases therefore 1.5's.

The Construction Site in Waltham, MA has had plain 1.0 boxes in the
past. I don't know their current stock status.

(I'm not affiliated in any way with any toy store)

KL

Col wrote:

<party@polyhex.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
Only difference I can see between the two is that 1.0 has the socket
for external power, and 1.5 does not have this.  Apparently the CD is
more interactive too.

Is this the right way round (about the power sockets)?

The Mindstorms web site doesn't say anything about this - in fact in all the
pictures of the 1.5 kit the RCX is labelled 'RCX 1.0'. The FAQ also says
that the reason for the new version is to make it easier to program.

Incidentally the FAQ also says that the upgrade kit costs US$25 and only
includes the CD, the constructopedia, a user guide and a 'test pad' (?) and
it's available now from the Lego world shop website (www.legoworldshop.com)

--
Colin
numbersix@freshfroot.freeserve.co.uk