 Marketplace / Shipping / 46
Re: Seeking the Ultimate Truths on International Shipping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:29:34 GMT

Simon Robinson wrote in message ...

And by the way, does anyone have any qualms about doing things like
writing 'gift' on boxes in order to get out of paying customs
duties? Seeing as - whatever people's individual views
on customs charges are - they are a tax which strictly speaking ought to
be paid just like any other tax.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

Well Simon as a Canadian who occasionally pays import taxes... It is not the
tax that bothers me. It is the @#!$@$# collection fee the post office
charges on top of the tax that rots my socks!!

The rule as I understand it is that merchandise with a value of $20.00 or
more is subject to HST (not a duty). In my neck of the woods it is 15%
(shudder). Now if my package gets slapped with a tax assessment I also have
to pay the post office $5.00 to collect it for Revenue Canada. So now I am
paying 40% on my parcel.

The "good" news is that the collection fee is a flat fee. It is the same
wether the package is 20.00 or 2000.00...

My 2cents( +15%hst of course).

John Battcock