 Marketplace / Services / 432
Re: Bidpay information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:34:53 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Adam Murtha writes:
I am curious if someone who is familiar with Bidpay can clarify a few things
for me.  Like how does it compare to Paypal in terms of charges?  How does
the whole process work?  My understanding is that person A wants to send
person B a charge of say $10 so after sending the money through Bidpay,
Bidpay sends an email to person B saying that person sent them $10.  Then
person B gets a money order from Western Union?  Anyone ever had any
problems with it?

I have sent and received payments with BidPay more times than I can count.
With only 2 minor exceptions [1] all transactions have been perfectly
painless.

You have the procedure correct.  However, the fee schedule is NOT similar to
other payment methods.  Any BidPay money order under 100 USD costs the
_SENDER_
5 USD and costs the seller nothing.  Fee schedule over 100 USD has increased
cost for the buyer.

Why do I use it??  I guess I like throwing 5 dollar bills away.  Actually,
physical disabilities prevented easy access to any post office to buy postal
money orders so that is the main reason.  Now that I am able to get out and
drive, I buy my money orders from the postal service for just 90 cents !

As a seller, I like them.  Because of email notification, I can ship a package
of Lego as soon as I get the official BidPay email notice that payment is in
the mail.  So, it is almost as fast as Paypal and BillPoint.  Also, the fee is
on the buyers end so I do not have to be concerned with charging a payment
processing fee or eating the cost of accepting a payment with cyber cash.

[1] One time, the seller refused to accept bidpay due to foreign banking fees,
so I very easily cancelled the payment before it was even sent--the whole thing
was MY error of selecting the incorrect payment method--should have been
BillPoint for that particular Lego deal.
Another time a buyer was unsuccessful with using BidPay simply because their
credit card was declined due to over-limit or some such.  An alternate payment
form was used and all went well.

.