 Marketplace / Services / 362
361  |  363
Subject:
New PayPal feature ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 01:29:58 GMT

I received this email from PayPal just now. Looks like PayPal may be having a
problem with fraudulent charges (notice I said "may be having"). This is the
first time I have heard PayPal talk about chargebacks to seller accounts.

Ray

-----  begin email -----
Dear Valued PayPal Member:

We wanted to let you know of an important new PayPal feature.

Because PayPal is often used to make online purchases, we have
modified the Send Money process to ask payers for a shipping
address.  For security reasons, this shipping address must match
the payer's credit card billing address.  Payers have the
opportunity to either share this address or refuse to give this
information.

When you receive a payment, you will be able to view this
"Verified Shipping Address" in the payment details.  If a payer
declines to share this information, the payment will appear in
your inbox as "PENDING" with buttons for you to "Accept" or
"Deny" the payment.

We introduced this feature primarily for PayPal members who sell
online.  If you are selling goods, you will accept the risk of
any chargebacks if you do not ship to the Verified Shipping
Address.  Shipping to a credit card billing address significantly
reduces the risk that a buyer is paying with a stolen credit
card.

Sellers can learn more about how to protect themselves from
chargebacks on our website at:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/shipping-address-outside.

IF YOU DO NOT USE PAYPAL TO SELL ONLINE, you may want to change
your account settings to accept payments automatically even if
they do not include a Verified Shipping Address.  Do this by
logging in to your account and changing your "Preferences"
located under the "Profile" subtab.

Thank you for using PayPal, the world's #1 online payment
service.

Sincerely,

The PayPal Team
www.paypal.com