 Marketplace / Services / 304
Re: PayPal international
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:21:23 GMT

Andreas Stabno wrote:

Can someone verify how PayPal assesses fees on international transactions?
I find conflicting information on their website.

After logging in to your account, the "Policy Changes" link provides the
following:

  International Payments Free for Domestic Users

  Entry Date: October 2, 2000
  Effective Date: October 31, 2000
  PayPal plans to introduce the ability to send money to, and receive money
  from, international users in 26 countries by Halloween. There will be no
  additional fees for domestic customers to send or receive international
  payments.

However, the following link suggests that every international transaction
involves fees.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/hlp/help_global_intl-outside

  Does PayPal cost anything?
  PayPal charges a modest 2.6% + $0.30 International Currency fee on all
  transactions involving a credit card., which is far less expensive than
  wiring funds! In addition, PayPal provides premium services at low rates for
  businesses.

Could it be that international transactions in US funds do not incur any fees?

The way I read it is that you will be charged the above fee anytime
PayPal handles non-US cash on your behalf (either paying you in non-US
cash, or accepting for deposit, non-US cash). It looks like PayPal will
remain entirely free for the international user who is willing to keep
their balance within PayPal (so if you sell something for $100, and then
use that $100 to make purchases, using a personal account, you will not
be charged any fees).

This seems reasonable. What they are basically doing is providing for
non-US people to effectively get a US bank account, but they do need to
charge reasonable rates for currency conversion (I have no idea if the
above rate is reasonable).

Of course if you have a cheaper way of converting cash, you can possibly
find someone in the US to handle the cash transaction with PayPal (or
you may be able to do cash transactions with PayPal in US dollars).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com