 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 86
85  |  87
Subject:
Centralized Box Registry/Scheduler?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:01:03 GMT

Hi,

Is there any interest in having a centralized box registry and
scheduler? Since Todd first presented the idea of a travelling trade
box I've been thinking about what would be necessary to help automate
the process of mailing list generation.

I've hacked together a prototype web-based database system to track
multiple boxes and distribute them among any number of users in a fair
rotation.

Users are placed in a queue in the order they signed up. When a box is
ready to be shipped, simply ask the database for the next name in the
queue. Of course, more complex features may be added such that a user
could set a preference for "theme" boxes or temporarily halt shipments
to them without losing their place in the queue.

I've been working out some of the details of a logging system to track
a box's history and ensure the continuation of the journey. I'll
probably fiddle a bit more with it this weekend.

If there is any interest in this, I'd be happy to set it up and run it
for a while. I've been lurking on Lugnet for a couple of months and
finally found a way to contribute something :)

If you have any feature suggestions, please let me know and I'll see
what I can do.

John

jkornhaus@xperts.com

--